This is a very rare vehicle with only 1028 being manufactured between 1939 and 1940. Documented evidence from Ford Motor Company in 1978 states there were 4 Ford Prefect Tourer's left in the world, ours with 3 others in Berkshire, Sussex and Holland, however we now believe there to be more, particularly worldwide.
For 30 years ‘Dorothy’ spent most her time in the Patterson Ford showrooms with occasional outings. Dorothy featured in the local newspaper in 1989 with our Uncle George Winter, Chairman of Patterson Ford describing how motoring was perilous back in 1939.
latterly she had been an exhibit at The Newburn Motor Museum in Newcastle and was hardly ever used.
In 2008 after the sale of the family business, Patterson Motor Group, we inherited her complete with original buff log book, wartime petrol ration book and proof of her 60,000 genuine miles. After just a few hours and with some expert help, we managed to get her started. She was driven home and subsequently started a full programme of refurbishment with original Ford Prefect Parts where possible.
New Connelly hide upholstery, new hood and carpets followed by a rewire, new tyres much polish and various tweaks here and there. Where we can we want to keep her as original as possible, however for safety reason we have fitted indicators in existing holes in the bumpers. We also try and use her daily.
We now look forward to many happy years motoring together including our two Labradors who love going out for trips in her!
Rewire - (6 Volt)
Interior reupholstered in leather
Reconditioned steering box fitted
New shock absorbers
Replaced full wiper assembly including refurbished vacuum tank
New number plates
Refurbished steering wheel fitted
Fuel pump replaced
Bonnet accessories re-chromed
Heat shield fitted beside fuel pump
Replaced indicators with smaller type
Fuel tank refurbished
New larger battery fitted
Renovation of running boards
Boot lid and bonnet resprayed
Steering joint replaced
Weld, solder rear panel and respray area
Starter motor replaced
Weld, solder and respray both front wings
Under dashboard parcel shelf fitted
Electronic ignition fitted (6 volt)
Electric fuel pump and filter fitted (6 volt)
Date of first registration 14th March 1939
1939 to 1947 - Granville Road, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne
1947 to 1951 - (Same Owner) Newgate, Morpeth, Northumberland
1951 to 1978 - Prior Terrace, Hexham, Northumberland
1978 to 2008 - R.H. Patterson, Main Ford Dealer, Newcastle upon Tyne
2008 to date – Mike & Gillian Ridley-Smith, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne